Undergrad Opportunities and Future Prospects

Undergrad Opportunities


With such a small department, there is little competition if you want to do a research project. Such undergraduate research projects are usually done through the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) (Canadian citizens or permanent residents only), the Science Undergraduate Research Award (SURA) (includes international students), or a research-oriented course. Applications are usually open from February to the beginning of March. Before applying, have some idea of what research you are interested in and look for a suitable supervisor. Click here for more information.

During the school year, guest speakers present a seminar every Monday afternoon about their research in various domains of atmospheric and oceanic science. Sometimes, they have informal coffee sessions before the seminars when they talk about their career path and you can ask them questions about their career, research, department, university, a paper you read long time ago, etc over tea/coffee and cookies. Undergrads are also invited to attend graduate student seminars, where you can get a feel of what research graduate students are doing. Click here for more information.


Environment Canada (FSWEP), The Weather Network/MétéoMedia, and the National Weather Service (NWS) (in the U.S.) often offer summer internships to undergraduates. Check their websites for more information.


The Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (CMOS) offers a few undergraduate scholarships each year. Click here for more information.

Also, if you are a senior and plan to apply to graduate school, you may be eligible for a Master’s scholarship from the Fonds de recherche Nature et Technologies du Québec (FRQNT). Applications are due quite early, in the beginning of October. Click here for more information.

Future Prospects

Many graduates continue their studies in graduate school, at McGill or elsewhere.

Many graduates go into governmental jobs, e.g. Environment and Climate Change Canada, but you can also go to MétéoMedia, Pelmorex, Ouranos, etc. in the private sector.

You can even find jobs in insurance companies.

You can also become an instructor in the field.